Wednesday, September 9, 2009

School and Donkeys and Nurses, Oh My!

Yesterday was busy, with Daniel going to school and all, that at the end of the day I chose sleep over blogging haha.

His day was wonderful, and no major problems. Apparently he didn't want to share the 5 Frisbees with the other children, and he needs to learn how to put his own shoes on. Other than that he was very well behaved and he had a lot of fun. When we arrived, we changed his shoes into his indoor shoes, and he hugged and kissed us and he was off! I wanted him to miss us just a little bit, but I am so pleased that there were no tears and that he is confident enough to not worry about school! We asked how is day was and he said "good" and then we asked what he did and he said "I don't know". Then, when we asked what the other children's names were, again he said "I don't know". Charming. Apparently this goes on for quite some time, and then changes to "nothing" as in, "what did you do today", "nothing". lol Thank goodness for teachers!! He wanted to go again today, but thankfully Bieke was taking him to the Donkey farm, and that is definitely more fun that school. lol. So we all survived the day, and I only had a few tears fall. So few that you couldn't even call it a cry, but perhaps just a little bit of welling. :)

His trip with Bieke was a huge success, and he just loves animals! He returned very tired and with 2 "I love donkeys" tattoos! Thank you Bieke, and I am sorry I was out when you returned him to us! If I hadn't stopped at Tim Horton's for a coffee for Barry on the way home from the pharmacy, I would have made it in time. That being said, Barry without his coffee is not a good thing lol. Daniel had so much fun, with you and with the donkeys. xxx

The nurse came for a visit this morning. She was very nice and very helpful. She asked lots of questions, and seemed to really care about Barry's health and comfort. His blood pressure is good at 104/64. Since the operation, that is normal for him, so that's one thing in his favour! She was very concerned about his mobility, due to his knee, so she has requested that the physiotherapist, John, find him a walker to use at home and for short walks and a wheelchair for trips to the store, hospital, etc, where more walking is involved. This was mentioned to Barry weeks ago as an option available to him, but he turned it down. His knee was improving thanks to John, but he woke up a few days ago back to where it was pre-John. He is getting frustrated because Barry is a doer. He likes to be active, and to take care of everyone else (Daniel and I). Now that he can't it really bothers him. He also tripped the other day and although he didn't fall, he jarred and twisted his knee. Purely from that perspective, I am glad the walker is coming. John is coming on Friday morning for a quick visit, so hopefully he will bring the chair and the walker with him. On an emotional level, it has to be hard for Barry to admit to needing these, or at least allowing them indoors. I get sad, to see this rugged man needing this sort of assistance. I think part of the problem is that he is weak. Since the operation, and not being as active, and not sleeping well, he has become weak. Not weak as in he can't do anything, just weaker than the super strong man he was before. Just a hard day, I think, coping with these changes.

Barry, I am proud to report, still has a full head of hair! Not one strand appears to be missing. They said his facial hair would fall out too, and I think Barry was actually looking forward to not shaving!

We are not looking forward to Monday, so I will leave writing about that for perhaps the next post. (Monday is the first Chemotherapy treatment). I will also know more tomorrow, as we are meeting with the oncologist, Dr. Knight, tomorrow.

We have had some more cards come in over the last few days:


1. My Aunt Kim and Uncle Bill from Fergus. Barry loved the 50 pennies you laboriously taped inside his card! Thank you :)

2. Diane Vacheff from Fenwick Ontario. She is known as Mom V and is my good friend Corie's mom. Thank you for praying every day for Barry xx

3. Bieke and family from Guelph. Bieke was my big sister when I was very young, and we have a wonderful friendship today. Your support has been wonderful, and Daniel loves seeing you!!

4. Steve and Karen, from Australia. Steve is Barry's brother. Your card made us laugh so hard and then cry with the warmth of your words! We love you!


5. Allan, Deb and Michelle Stopher, from Thorold Ontario. Allan is Barry's cousin. Thank you for pointing out the signs that Barry is 50 lol. Barry is looking forward to saying "I beat this"!! xx

6. Dot and Gray Horne from England. Dot is Barry's first wife Wendie's mum. We hope to see you soon! xxx

7. Jill and Jean Ooms from British Columbia, Canada. Jill is friends of Jenny, who is Barry's brother's girlfriend's mum and Jill has breast cancer. She has given us so much support, while going through her own battle, and having never met us. Thank you, and you are an amazing woman xxx

8. Beth Morton from Winnipeg. Beth is a fellow blogger. Thank you for the card! The coffee never stops with Barry lol. You are also in our thoughts while you brave your own cancer battle xx

9. Wendie and Bernie Jarvis from Missouri. Wendie is Barry's first wife. Well, Wendie, who would have thought we would be friends? But your support and friendship has meant the world to us over the past weeks. When are you moving here?? J/K !! xxx

10. Bill, Sally and Trevor Rostron from Burlington, Ontario. That was one classy card, Bill! haha. Barry laughed and knew you had picked it out. You have been a great friend to Barry and never cease to make him laugh and smile xxx

11. Daphne and Jeff Browning from England. Barry is now thinking of himself as two 25 year olds! xxx

Thanks to everyone so far, and we look forward to those that are going to arrive this week (and next due to postal strikes, slow postal systems, and forgetfulness lol).

I also want to thank you all for faithfully reading this blog. I can't say enough times how much this means to Barry, and to me!
Lots of love, from us to you xxxxx

4 comments:

  1. Sara I'm so glad Daniel had a great first day!! Did you take any photos? Does he have to wear a kind of school uniform?.... I can't wait to hear more :) It's funny because just today I talked to the admissions department at my school about Georgie's application and they told me to continue with the next few steps - including getting Georgie to draw a picture/write her name, a parent statement, and a 'teacher reference' from her key nursery worker :D I'm excited for it already lol. Also good to hear abut Barry's hair - shame Steve's hasn't got the same willpower lmao.... tell him I'll be checking when we eventually meet ;) talk soon my dear, nyk xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all I want to wish Barry a very happy 50th birthday tomorrow and I am so positive that there will be many, many more to celebrate!!!! I want you all to have a fantastic day and enjoy every moment of the day....no cancer talk just happy thoughts:) You will have to post some photos of this special day! So many cards, how wonderful.
    Sara, it sounds like Daniel will adjust to school quickly. It will keep him busy and therefore will take his little mind off of the other things and also keep you running around, lol.
    Well I am off to try to have a bit of a rest as sleep does not come easy for me anymore.
    Give Barry a big Birthday hug from me....
    Hugs
    Jill xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. well bro your 50th has nearly been and gone but i am planning for your 51st..so let the countdown begin...only 366 days to go ish.[confusing with the different time zones]
    MY PROMISE TO YOU.....you beat this bastard and the road trip is on....so fight with all you have big bro and i will see you in a month or so to start the planning.
    love and strength to you from steve and karen xxxx happy 50th

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for Daniel - sounds like a brave boy! He will do great in school. I love seeing them go off with their backpacks ... so cute! It's hard to let them go, but when they are ready it makes it a bit easier. He'll probably sleep like a log on the days he has school!
    Take care - and enjoy school Daniel! Linda Baltus

    ReplyDelete