Saturday, August 22, 2009

Another Bump in the Road...

Not sure what to write today, but feel I should write something. This really isn't easy, at all.

We got a call Thursday night from Dr. Knight from the Grand River Cancer Centre in Kitchener. He had the results of Barry's MRI. Apparently there are 8 lesions on Barry's brain. They are 6-8mm in size.

This means that the IL-2 treatment is on hold. Apparently it causes fluid retention and swelling all over the body. Well, because of the skull is hard, the fluid presses on the brain. If their are lesions, they would add even more pressure, and could cause a stroke, bleeding in the brain, or who knows what else.

The course of action right now is radiation therapy, which should shrink the lesions. After that, depending on the size, they will either give Barry chemotherapy, or if they get really small or disappear, then we can head to Buffalo for the IL-2 treatments. Basically, it depends how the lesions respond to the radiation.

Now for the hard part. This might not get better. The tumours in the brain could eventually be fatal.

I asked the doctor how long he would have, and he said 6-9 months.

We are staying positive. Barry said he is not going to give up and let this cancer beat him. Now we need your support, prayers, positive thoughts, mojo, ANYTHING that you can do! Like I have said before, there are strength in numbers. Share our blog with your friends and family, churches, groups, anyone! Only good can come from that many people thinking of Barry, and we truly appreciate everyone around the world.

Yesterday, when we spoke to the doctor again and found out more of the details, my aunt and sister came and picked up Daniel and took him to the park for play and ice cream. I was at rock bottom, unable to think clearly. I appreciate them dropping everything and coming to our aid. Daniel didn't need to be here, hearing us so upset. Barry and I had our cry. And cry we did. Well, me more so than Barry. But we let it out, cleansed our systems, got out the bad thoughts, the fear, the anger, and now we can focus on the good, and Barry's battle. (well, I am sure I will have more tears.... I am not as strong as Barry! lol)

I also want to thank everyone who helped by passing on the news: Mom and Dad, Mel, and Aunt Janice. Letting everyone know is the hardest thing for me. With the reactions of others, it brings the emotions back... reliving it again. So thank you, so much, for doing this. xxx

Steve....oh Steve. Your message on here was so touching. I can't even put into words... xxx Thank you also for the phone call. It all helps to keep Barry's spirits up, and he said he felt so much better for having talked to you.

Barry's license has been suspended. I think that really ticked Barry off and it upsets him the most out of all this. Apparently the lesions are dangerous and could cause seizures or some other problems. But, once again, he is determined to get that back and get out on the road! He has a road trip with his brother in a year!!!!

All our love....the kindness and caring and love we have received is so wonderful. Right back at you all! xxxx

Sara :)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update Sara {hug}... we will continue to pray and keep you in our thoughts.... always here for you.. Nyk xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How my heart is aching for you and Barry and for your son Daniel. I am glad that you have someone to pass the news onto as when I read my book it mentioned that you should appoint someone to make the calls for you as you have so much on your mind and there will be days when you don't feel like talking. I hate all of this and even for me it is 1 1/2 years since it started and now have to have a CT scan on Monday I still get angry and cry a lot.
    I am going to put a link on my blog to your site tonight if that is okay with you.
    Keep your faith and comfort each other. Your strength will carry you through. I think Steve will get a lot of support from Karen and Jen.
    Lots of gentle hugs. :)
    Jill.

    ReplyDelete