Thursday, August 20, 2009

Some sad news....

We just found out, not an hour ago that Barry has Melanoma in his brain.

I am sitting here typing this, not crying (yet) but in a total daze. I feel completely ill. Barry and I are just blown away. We didn't see this damn curve ball coming. Barry said to just shoot him. I think that's the best I can describe things now. We're gutted.

Barry had an MRI on Tuesday to check his brain. I guess Dr. Knight (the oncologist at Grand River Hospital in Kitchener) just got the results. I was out at the bank, and Barry took the call. He was numb and was just trying to take it all in. He didn't tell me until I looked on the phone to call my girlfriend, and I saw the phone number. He told me and I felt complete dread and fear.

So the specifics, as we know them, are that there are 3 to four lesions on his brain that are each 3 to four millimeters in size. There is slight swelling, and the man that called said he was surprised that Barry has had no headaches. Well, he hasn't, not one. He has sent a prescription to our pharmacy that he wants Barry to begin tonight, so I will get that shortly for him. Its called dexamethasone. For this case, its used to counteract the development of edema (the abnormal accumulation of fluid beneath the skin) which could eventually compress other brain structures. (thank you wikipedia for that info). Basically, it will reduce the minor swelling that Barry has around these lesions on his brain.

He is absolutely not allowed to drive now. I think that upset Barry because it takes away his independence.

They said they may have to use radiation therapy to try and minimize these lesions.

Barry will not be given IL-2 with these lesions as they are, most likely. That is the one thing Dr. Wong said yesterday in Buffalo. It becomes very dangerous because one of the side effects of IL-2 is swelling. With the lesions in the brain, they limit where any fluid could go during treatments, causing pressure on the brain.

So now we are in limbo again. We had a plan with the IL-2. It wasn't what we wanted to be doing, but it had to be done. We had a path, with a goal at the end. Now we aren't sure of the path.

Dr. Knight's office will be in touch with Dr. Wong tomorrow and they will hopefully figure it all out.

Please pray to your god, channel all good and positive thoughts to Barry, and above all, send us all strength and courage. We don't want pity or sadness. We need strength. There is strength in numbers.... you are our numbers!!

A great friend said take it one day at a time, take it one hour at a time, what ever will get you by. That is what we will do! We are keeping a brave face for Daniel. He doesn't need to know the details. He doesn't need to see us cry and upset and scared.

I will post any more news as and when we get it tomorrow. Thank you again, to everyone.
Love Sara xxx

8 comments:

  1. Hi Sara. I am a friend of Jen's and I live on Vancouver Island. She sent me your website as I have one as well and have been going through breast cancer. I can only say I know how you are feeling, shock, anger and a lot of other emotions. I am glad you started a blog like many of us that have cancer do as we all help each other if needed and try to give some support.
    I know of a couple that are going through something similar as you are. The husband has cancer and both Colin and his wife Sandy write a blog. You might want to check it out. They live in England.

    http://colin.thedaviesclan.net/

    http://sandy.thedaviesclan.net/

    Please feel free to email me anytime.
    Sending you both lots of hugs and lots of prayers.
    Jill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just me again,lol. I guess I should have mentioned that it is Jen Lewis from Australia. We have been emailing for probably about 5 years now. She is a wonderful friend and her friendship has helped me through a lot. We met through a penpal site on the web. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh ok lol. That is my husbands brothers partners mother! I hope that made sense! Two Canadians, introduced from the other side of the world...wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. {hugs} Sara right now I just want to say that we love you guys... please call me ANY time you want to... hopefully a new plan will be devised quickly... as always, prayers and positive thoughts for Barry xxxxxx Nyk xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sara,
    This is Karen's Mum Jen. I am sure blogging will help you as I know Jill has made many friends through her blog.
    I want to send you my love and let you know I keep you all in my prayers each day.
    I have another friend who's hubby is very ill through cancer, also my sister in law has just had surgery for bowel cancer.
    love, Jen.
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Jen so much. And thank you for introducing Jill to us. I look forward to reading her blogs as well. I'm sure we can learn a lot from her!
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. And Nyk.... you are a wonderful friend and you have always been there! Thank you, I can't say it enough xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have known Barry for 22+ years, and Know that if any one can beat this HE can, with his can do attitude, I have only recently gotten to know Sara, and she is a very strong woman, her positive attitude must be a source of strength for Barry, and wish only the best for them, and MY thoughts are constantly with you, all, Weird!! see you soon...:)

    ReplyDelete